Saturday, January 6, 2007

First Day

There doesn't really seem to be anything planned for us, so we were pretty much on our own. I got up a little before 6am this morning due to the jet lag (and probably woke up 3 or 4 times during the night). It had snowed a bit last night and this morning, so it was a pretty nice view.



After it stopped snowing, I went out and explored the neighborhood a little. The section of town down the hill from the Faculty housing has a lot of restaurants and shops. There's also a mini-market (more than a 7-11, but much less than a US supermarket) that has produce, groceries, and other non-food items (soap, TP, etc.); I'm sure I'll be visiting this place many times during the next few months.




The streets around this section of town are very narrow. It reminds me a bit of the small sidestreets in Tokyo. I went to a random restaurant to get some breakfast; the waitress didn't speak any English, so she grabbed a student from another table to help me out. The food was good, if not a little weird. I didn't do too much during the rest of the day since it was pretty cold and windy out.

No comments: