Sunday, January 7, 2007

Subways and More Food




Day #2 in Seoul. I think I've more or less gotten over the jetlag now. Today we ventured out onto the Seoul subway system. It's so nice having access to a *real* subway system (as opposed to MARTA). They have RFID cards like the MARTA breeze cards, but the subway fares are much cheaper here (less than $1USD) and the subway is far more useful. I think you can get practically anywhere a tourist would want to go to on the subway. The Seoul subway is the opposite of MARTA: MARTA is practically useless except for getting to the airport, the Seoul system can get you practically anywhere, except for the airport!

We visited a market area called Dongdaemun (literally "east big gate" or dong1 da4 men2 in mandarin) which was a mix of modernish department stores and street level markets.




The street markets also had plenty of street food stalls, so I got my first taste of Korean street food; hooray! The picture above was some sort of meat ball, battered and fried, coated in some sort of sweet and spicy sauce. Not really sure what it was, but it tasted good.

Younggyun, the TA for my course, moved into the apartment complex today. His parents took us out for dinner at a 50-year old noodle shop where I got to try some dishes that I had not had before.

Orientation's tomorrow morning, and my first class is tomorrow afternoon, so I'm spending this evening getting ready for that.

No comments: