Saturday, March 31, 2007

Weird Items


So Paul (the theory TA) and I frequent this BBQ joint near campus, and we've been there enough times that they treat us pretty well. (I think they may be somewhat entertained by the fact that these foreigners keep coming back.) Anyway, we've gotten many "service" items from them, which are basically free things given out as a "thank you for your patronage" gesture. I find this particularly interesting given that there's pretty much no tipping in Korea, and so this is almost like some sort of anti-tip. We've gotten free cokes, free beer and free soju. On a recent trip, they gave us a gold piggie bank to add to the wall behind the register. I'm not exactly sure what this is all about, but I guess all of their regular customers get to be "shown off" on the wall of pigs. Or perhaps it has something to do with this being the year on the pig in the lunar zodiac? I don't know, but we now have a pig with our names on it in Seoul.

I've seen some interesting items in stores in Korea. Here's one that I saw recently that particularly struck me as odd:


Do you get a love virus from drinking this milk? Or is it milk for people that love virii? (This was not an actual container for milk, but some sort of gift box that you might put presentes into.)

And I didn't know that they were into the Dirty South... O-kaaay! Ye-eah!

No comments: